What hourly rate do you use in your costings? Well here’s how MyCake users vary:
- Great news – there are a bunch of you in this top over £100per hr bracket. Mostly this crowd is selling time in various forms of service – design, management, web and graphic work.
- Reasonable news – the middle groups of £21 to £30 and £31 to£50 are pretty diverse in content – some designer makers, various fashion folks, and various young web designers. Quite a lot of young businesses in here. Make sure you put your prices up as you gain experience!
- Not so good news – just under a third of you charge less than £20 per hr, some are under £10. This is less than labourers on a building site. Think of your skill levels. Surely, you are worth more than this!
- on what basis do you decide how to price your work or how to cost up a project?
- how often do you revise these prices upwards?
- how often do others try to negotiate these prices downwards?
- how much contingency for unexpected extras do you put in?
When MyCake interviewed artist Binita Walia about how MyCake makes a difference in this area she commented “I am really aware of the prices I need to charge to survive and how much work I need to bring in per annum.”