The purpose of this half day workshop is to respond to the various enquiries that we have received about whether and how the data in the Culture Benchmark can be used to benchmark your current income generating activities against your peers. As you are probably aware the Culture Benchmark provides a mix of free and paid services to arts organisations to help them to use financial data to adapt their business model in response to the changes in arts funding. Benchmarking is something that works both at an individual organisational level and with clusters of organisations who have something in common.
In this afternoon event we will help you:
Structure your thinking about how you are leveraging both your tangible and intangible assets into new income streams
Work out what comparison groups would be most useful to you … by turnover range, geography, and by sector and types of activity
Understand how the data held in the Culture Benchmark can be used to set a baseline against which to compare your income development progress … not just as an organisation comparing progress against your own history but also by comparison to your peers and thus the ‘average’ and ‘best in class'
Work out what ‘best in class’ looks like for your type of organisation and mix of activities
Use benchmark data to set targets internally and communicate your successes to your stakeholders
The plan is that by the end of the session you will have:
- Clarity on what comparisons are most useful to your organisation
- Clarity on who to class as your peers within the context of this income development work
- Thoughts on clusters of peers you might like to convene on an occasional basis to share experiences with
- Understanding of how the Culture Benchmark could be used in your organisation (along with clarity on what’s available free vs. what is included in a subscription)
Event details: SOLD OUT**
Date: Wednesday 19 February 2014
Location: The Showroom, 63 Penfold St, London NW8
All recipients of ACE Catalyst funding are eligible to attend this free workshop but places are limited and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. To attend please book here on our eventbrite page
**please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest for a future seminar.
What is benchmarking anyway?
If the concept of benchmarking is new to you and you are wondering what it is and how it works you might find these free resources useful:
- An introduction to the basics of benchmarking
- A video of Sarah’s presentation where she shows how pooling your data can improve your business model
- Size Matters: Notes towards a better understanding of the value, operation and potential of small visual arts organisations
- Several articles on benchmarking in the arts
- A report from the Paul Hamlyn Foundation on how they assess the impact of their activities
- The Culture Benchmark service itself and related blog posts (with lots of data and analysis to browse through!)
We are hosting a free half day workshop at the Showroom in London from 2-5pm on Wednesday February 19th for any (or all!) ACE Catalyst funded organisations to learn how to use benchmarking data to set a baseline against which to compare the progress of their Catalyst activities. Places are limited so please book here Read the full article…